Graphic Design // LoveHate

For the Context of Practice module, OUGD401, we have been asked to express some of the things we love and some of the things we hate, here are a few examples of pieces that I feel very strongly about.


1. First of all I really like the work of Kyle Bean, an Illustrator from Brighton. He uses paper to create the beautifully crated scenes, which capture their audiences. His work is unique and inspiring, and the rich colours compliment one another within the design.


2. I love Collage. I found a collage artist in one of my books recently, whilst researching different designers. His work is very intricate and has a distinctive 'vintage' appearance. He began sketchbooking in 1990 and for twelve years his work was a very private art before 2002 when his work became more public and he is a renowned collage artist in New York, America. 


3. A pet hate of mine is 'multicoloured' designs, with no colour themes and swirly vector graphics. This has a very cheap(tacky) appearance. I think the designs are overused, and often misconstrued as 'Graphic Design' when in fact the design is very 'immature'. 


4. I love simplicity. Bold colours, minimal text and clean imagery is really effective. The combination works well together and communicates a message clearly to the target audience. The fewer words the more noticeable the advert/design becomes and the more striking it is in appearance. This also links in to my love of type, over the coming months and years I hope to expand my understanding and knowledge of typography within design. 


5. Finally, I end on a hate. I can't stand messy things. I am a very organised person and I keep everything neat and in order. I can't work in a disorganised environment where there is no structure. This is a personal pet hate of mine, and some people would consider it 'OCD', however if things aren't neat and organised I just get stressed out and can't focus.






1.

1.

2. 

2. 

3. 

4. 

5. 

Friday 30 September 2011 by Lisa Collier
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply